Sunday, December 28, 2008

"The Stand" - The Early Journey Pt. 3

I can look back on my journey thus far and see God’s hand in it. I believe that what the enemy meant for evil, God means to bring good out of. He is doing it already. Not that this road is anywhere near an end, but I do know that God very strategically moved me from Point A to Point B, and continues to move me toward the destiny He created me to have. One thing God used as confirmation was this one particular song.

I ended up in some different churches along the way over the first 6 Sundays or so. The first one was just down the road from where I live. I went alone, sat in the back, and cried the entire service, which happened to be part of a series called “How Big is Your God”… that week’s topic? "God is Bigger Than Your Sin". Their worship team did a song that day that I had never heard before, but it was catchy and it found its way through my pain that morning and ministered to me.

Two Sundays later, I found myself in Perdido Key, FL near Pensacola. I ended up basically fleeing from my life for several days while awaiting my trip to Texas. It was a time of isolation, protection and distance – from everything and everyone. It was just me with my dog, Jake, hanging at my cousin’s beach house for 12 days.

I attended a large church nearby, and of all things, their worship team did the same song I had heard 2 weeks prior in Marietta. I had to know what it was and who did it so I texted the lyrics to myself so I could look it up when I got back to the house.

I discovered that afternoon that it was a song by Hillsong United called, “The Stand”. I pulled it up on YouTube and listened to it over and over. Again, it made its way through my pain and ministered to me deeply.

Two weeks later, after returning from my week in Texas, I landed at RiverStone, my hospital, my safe place for healing and restoration… and, of all things, the first song the worship team did that Sunday was…. You guessed it: “The Stand”.

By now I knew it well and was able to sing it with full abandon. This song had followed me from Marietta, to Florida, and then back to RiverStone. That’s way too odd to not be God! It was part of His confirmation to me that I was exactly where He wanted me to be. Below are the lyrics. I am especially thankful for the second verse…

”The Stand” Hillsong United

You stood before creation
Eternity in Your hand
You spoke the earth into motion
My soul now to stand

You stood before my failure
Carried the cross for my shame
My sin weighed upon Your shoulders
My soul now to stand

So I walk upon Salvation
Your Spirit alive in me
This life to declare Your promise
My soul now to stand

PreChorus:
So what could I say
What could I do
But offer this heart Oh God
Completely to You

Chorus:
So I’ll stand with arms high
And heart abandoned
In awe of the One who gave it all
I’ll stand
My soul Lord to You surrendered
All I am is Yours

Watch it at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJp8HGtyG8A

NOTE: On January 4th, 2009, the first Sunday in the new year, our worship team did this song. I was completely undone. Yet again, this song follows me and keeps reaffirming God's hand on my life, even when things seem hopeless. What is it that this song represents to me? that God is BIG enough? that I am truly forgiven? or is this my song of worship and surrender no matter what this process looks like? Maybe it's all of the above.

No comments: