Tuesday, December 29, 2009

I See the Moon and the Moon Sees Me...


I was outside with Jake tonight, shivering under a crystal clear night sky, in the light of a waxing gibbous moon. (For those who do not know, a waxing gibbous moon is one that is increasing in phase and is almost full.) Only the brightest stars shown because the moonlight was so bright.

As I looked up at the moon, I considered the fact that the moon doesn't shine at all. It has no light source of its own. It only shines as it reflects the sun.

I am like the moon. I have no light source of my own. If I shine, it is because I am reflecting the light of the Son. It is never about me, what I do, or how well I do it. It is always about Him, for Him and through Him.

An even more impacting thought occurred to me as I waited for Jake in the cold night air: the moon shines brightest when it is full, and it is full when nothing stands between it and its light source.

I want to reflect His glory as a full moon reflects the sun, with no hindrances, no distractions, no idols made of flesh or stone, standing between me and the Source of all.


No comments: